Monday, May 02, 2011

To My Genealogy Friends: Genealogical Proof Standards

Much has been made about President Obama, and his eligibility for the office. Though I recall seeing the first birth certificate that he made public during his campaign, I didn't really study it, and, like many others, accepted it at face value. In the meantime, others dismissed it as a "photoshop" modification, insisting that it was, for unknown reasons to me, NOT a "real" certificate. I've not done much research into this, but as a Genealogist myself, it has become an interesting topic.

As a genealogist, I tend to remain neutral on the subject of whether or not President Obama is a Natural Born Citizen, because frankly, I have just not spent enough research time on this. Yet the issue is becoming more and more interesting to me as time goes by.

Awhile back, the president released another certificate. I think it's called a "Certicifate of Live Birth". Though I haven't paid attention, I imagine theories still abound about its authenticity.

So, I wanted your views on the general acceptacnce of Birth Certificates as Genealogical Proof Standards.

An original birth certificate would be one which was made at the time of birth, and given to the parents. A record of this birth would be stored at the locality of birth, with a copy sent to the state.

It has always been my understanding, and experience as a researcher, that "Original" Birth Certificates DO NOT exist at the state or county levels of government. For someone to have an original, it would have to be in the custody of some interested individual. Mind you, I've not researched every state in the U.S., and I understand that all states have different rules, but isn't it a general practice for states and counties to keep records of birth only in bound books, and that when someone requests a certificate, the registrar will type out a new certificate? Or is it that original certificates are, in fact, still extant in some locales?

This latest Certificate of Live Birth of Barak Obama, located at the White House website looks like an original certificate, as the name of the doctor delivering the baby is shown in signature form (not typed in by a registrar, or clerk). The signature of the Parent, the Doctor, and the Local Registrar is included on this certificate, and dated 1961. How could this be? The parent signature is that of Obama's mother (I assume), and she has died.

What say you?

No comments: